Reporting an Emergency
The College’s Office of Public Safety is open and operational 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Blue Light phones and security cameras are located strategically across campus. This equipment is monitored 24 hours a day by security staff.
If you discover an emergency on campus, you can report it in several ways:
- Dial 2222 from a campus phone or 401.865.2222 from a cell phone to report the emergency to Safety. If phones are out of service, send a runner to the Office of Public Safety, which is located at the Huxley Avenue gate.
- You also can report an emergency by pressing the emergency button on any Blue Light phone.
- Provide your name, and describe the emergency and its location.
What is a 911 Emergency?
- A 911 Emergency is any situation that requires immediate police, fire, or medical response to preserve life or property.
- Call 9-911 from an on-campus phone and 911 from a cell phone to report emergencies.
- After you call 911, immediately call 401.865.2222 to notify the College’s Office of Public Safety.
- Do not use 911 inappropriately as it may delay responses to true emergencies.
- This Guide will help you to decide whether a situation requires an emergency response.
What are Non-Emergency Situations?
- A non-emergency situation does not require immediate attention to preserve life or property. Examples are minor vehicle accidents, missing property, excessive noise, and similar police-related matters.
- To report a non-emergency situation on the College campus, call the Office of Public Safety at 401.865.2391 or use a campus Blue Light phone.
Note: The area code for all campus phone numbers is 401.
For information in the event of a campus-wide emergency, call the Emergency/Weather Advisory Hotline: 401.865.1012