Bomb Threat or Package
Call 9-911 from an on-campus phone or 911 from a cell phone to report an emergency that requires immediate assistance from police and rescue personnel.
If you receive a bomb threat or if you observe a suspicious object/material or suspect a potential bomb on campus, immediately call the Office of Public Safety at 401.865.2222 or press the emergency button on any Blue Light phone.
If you find a suspicious object/material
- DO NOT HANDLE THE OBJECT OR MATERIAL.
- IMMEDIATELY evacuate the area.
- Call the Office of Public Safety at 401.865.2222 or press the emergency button on any Blue Light phone.
- Report the location and description of the object.
- Do not use elevators.
- Do not activate the building alarm.
- Do not open drawers or cabinets.
- Do not turn on/off electrical devices or switches (light switches, cell phones, radios, or any other kind of electrical device).
- Be alert for secondary explosive devices (bombs placed at the scene of an ongoing response meant to cause casualties among responders).
If you receive a bomb threat phone call
- Keep the caller on the line as long as possible; do not put the caller on hold or attempt to transfer the call.
- If possible, have someone else call 911.
- Ask the caller the following questions:
- When will the bomb go off?
- What will cause the bomb to explode?
- Where is the bomb? Which building?
- What kind of bomb is it? Describe it. Describe materials used.
- Why did you place the bomb?
- What is your name?
Record the exact wording of the bomb threat
- Note the time that the call was made.
- Listen closely to the caller’s voice and speech patterns.
- Make note of the caller’s emotional state.
- Listen carefully for background noises around the call.
- Try to assess the caller’s approximate age, gender, and any unusual characteristics.
WHEN THE CALL HAS FINISHED, IMMEDIATELY CALL THE OFFICE OF PUBLIC SAFETY AT 401.865.2222.