Utility Failure or Earthquake
Call 9-911 from an on-campus phone and 911 from a cell phone to report an emergency that needs immediate assistance from police and rescue personnel.
In case of power outages during disaster situations:
- Call 401.865.2222 to notify the Office of Public Safety of major problems related to power outages.
- Do not light matches or other flames inside buildings. Gas lines may be damaged and explosions or fire could occur.
- If you are trapped in an elevator, do not panic. Call for help. Personnel will arrive as soon as possible to assist you. Do not smoke in stalled elevators.
- Stay away from downed power lines and broken high-temperature waterlines and steam lines.
- If you are inside, remain inside and away from windows, doors, and items that could fall. If you are outside, move into the open, away from buildings, street lights and utility wires.
- Once the initial shock has subsided, prepare to evacuate if required to do so by authorities. Stay away from windows, skylights, and items that could fall.
- Do not use elevators. Use stairways to leave the building if an evacuation is necessary; assist individuals who cannot evacuate by themselves.
IF YOU WERE EVACUATED FROM A BUILDING, DO NOT RE-ENTER THE BUILDING UNTIL IT HAS BEEN