Call 9-911 from an on-campus phone or 911 from a cell phone to report an emergency that requires immediate assistance from police and rescue personnel.
Hostage Situation in Progress
- Call 401.865.2222, or press the emergency button on any Blue Light phone, to notify the Office of Public Safety or call 911.
- Security will ask you to provide helpful information that includes:
- Location of the incident
- Description of the subject(s)
- Number of people being held hostage
- Types of weapons and threats
- If the hostage taker is unaware of your presence, do not intervene; stay hidden.
If Taken Hostage
- Follow the instructions of the hostage taker.
- Try not to panic. Calm other persons present.
- Treat the hostage taker as normally as possible. Make self-controlled eye contact.
- Be respectful to the hostage taker.
- Ask for permission to speak. Do not argue or make suggestions.
- Do not take action against the hostage taker unless life-threatening circumstances present themselves.