Call 9-911 from an on-campus phone and 911 from a cell phone to report an emergency that needs immediate assistance from police and rescue personnel.
If an Active shooter is outside your building:
- Proceed to a room that can be locked
- Close and lock all windows and doors
- Turn off the lights
- Hide if possible, get on the floor away form doors and windows. Make sure no one is visible from outside the room.
- One person in the room should call 911.
- Report Incident to the Office of Safety and Security at 401.865.2222.
- Remain in place until police or a campus administrator gives the “all clear.”
- Once in a safe location, try to obtain any information that could assist the police, such as suspects description, weapons, current location and actions.
If the Active Shooter enters your building:
- Lock the room you are in if you can.
- If the room can not be locked, try to safely get to a nearby location that can be secured
- Exit the building if it is safe to do so.
If the Active Shooter enters the room you are in:
- Remain calm.
- If possible, alert the Office of Safety and Security or police.
- Consider the following options: Run, Hide, Fight
- Hide and shelter in place.
- Run – escape.
- Negotiate with the shooter.
- Fight – overpower the shooter.
- If, the shooter leaves the area, proceed to a safer location.
Under all situations:
- If you decide to flee during an active shooter situation, make sure you have an escape route and plan.
- Do not carry anything while fleeing; move quickly, keep your hands visible and follow the instructions of any police officers you may encounter.
- Do not attempt to remove injured people; instead leave wounded victims where they are and notify authorities of their location as soon as possible.
- Do not try to drive off campus until advised it is safe to so so by police or campus administrators.