Recognizing that multiple means of communication must be used simultaneously should a campus-wide emergency occur, Providence College has implemented a specialized notification system that can utilize cell phones, campus phones, and e-mail to send emergency messages to students, faculty, and staff.
- The Providence College Emergency Notification System, otherwise known as FriarALERT, is the primary way that the campus community will notified of an emergency on-campus, and it will provide steps that community members will need to take for their safety. The system is tested each semester.
- In addition to FriarALERT, the Providence College campus has more than 40 emergency “blue light” telephones located throughout campus. Twenty-five of these emergency telephones include a “Red Light” signal and audible message capability that can be activated to alert students, faculty, and staff of a campus-wide emergency and send an audible message with instructions about what immediate actions individuals should take.
- The College has also developed protocols for utilizing campus radio and television communications systems to issue emergency messages.
When information or instructions are broadcast through any of the above communication channels, all members of the campus community should immediately follow the specific instructions provided in that broadcast.
All faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to sign up for or update their FriarALERT information – see below for instructions.
This system is for PC faculty, staff, and students only. It is used to ensure the timely notification of those members of our campus community who may need to take immediate action.
Students are automatically signed up for FriarALERT with the contact information they provide at the time of enrollment. Any changes to student records and contact information must be made in person. Please visit the Office of Enrollment Services in Harkins Hall 310 to officially record changes.
Faculty & Staff
- To change or update the personal telephone number to which emergency alert messages are sent, please take the following steps:
- Access FriarALERT
- Log into the system using your Providence College Banner ID and Cyberfriar Password. Please note: you must use an on-campus computer with network access to use the system.
- Select “Phone Number Update” on the following screen.
- The number displayed is the one that will receive emergency messages.
- To change the telephone number select the “edit” tool.
- Enter the area code and phone number.
- Enter numbers only — do not use spaces or hyphens.
- Provide the telephone number where you are most likely to receive and acknowledge information about an emergency event on campus. For most people, this will be a cell phone number.
- DO NOT ENTER A CAMPUS PHONE EXTENSION.
- Remember, if the emergency happens when you are on campus, you also will receive notification from other sources (i.e. campus phone system, e-mail, Red Light audible alert, etc.)
- Select “submit” to confirm the change you have made.
- Log out of the system and close the browser.
Contact Koren Kanadanian, Director of Emergency Management, at 401.865.1553 if you have any questions.